Stuyvesant Town

Stuyvesant Town, known to its residents as “Stuy Town,” was named after Peter Stuyvesant, the last Director-General of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam, whose farm occupied the site in the 17th Century. The complex, which was planned beginning in 1942 and opened its first building in 1947, replaced the Gas House district of gas storage tanks.

The combined development is bordered by the East River/Avenue C on the east, the Gramercy Park neighborhood on the west, the East Village and Alphabet City to the south, and Kips Bay to the north. The surrounding area to the west is notable for historic Stuyvesant Square, a two-block park surrounded by the old Stuyvesant High School, St. George’s Church, and the Beth Israel Medical Center.

  • Places of Interest
  • Stuyvesant Town

    13th Precinct TSwag42